Wednesday 12 December 2012

River recce

I am still waiting for my first session this season, and with the weather we have had recently I decided to do a bit of a recce before committing to a session. My local river is still carrying some extra water, which isn't much of an issue normally, but the water is still quite coloured.

Local river - still a bit high and coloured.
I decided to have a look at a local pond which has a decent head of jacks. The pond is normally hammered during the warmer months and unfortunately the pike are often knocked on the head.
I had a feeling that the pond could be frozen and I was right, completely frozen over. The ice wasn't very thick so hopefully it should thaw with the coming warmer days we are due.

Local pond - frozen.
I don't really have the time to go further afield tomorrow so I will possibly try the river. Hopefully lamprey or another smelly dead bait will do the trick. I did also find a new launching point for the portabote, which should cut 10 minutes or so of travel time to get to the areas I like to fish.

5 comments:

  1. Why oh why do people still kill pike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uneducated, narrow minded muppets Richard, It is a shame as it is a nice little water. Last summer while walking the dog I found a nice double thrown in the bushes and a large jack dead in the margins. Thankfully the cold weather seems to keep these muppets away.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get yourself out on the bank Darren. It's cold, but not bad with a couple of layers on and great to be out. Often my river fishes best when the extra water has nearly run off and the fish move back in to feed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, hopefully I get out for a few hours and have something worthwhile to report.

      Delete